For the past twenty years, I am grateful to have lived, worked, and raised a family in the traditional territories of the Sinixt, the Ktunaxa to the East, and the Okanagan to the West, also home to Metis. I was born, raised, and educated in Ontario, and my love of the environment combined with my attraction to the vibrant communities of this area inspired me to move to the Kootenays.
Drawing on my formal training and experience in economics, finance, international trade, and political organizing, I have worked on numerous projects in our region over the years, and I am proud of the results our collaborative efforts have managed to achieve. For instance, for the past 3 years I have served as Treasurer and Chair of the Strategy Committee at the Nelson Waldorf School. We are working to secure 2 Million dollars in outside investment that is dedicated to bringing much-needed greater access to affordable childcare in town. I am eager to bring my collaborative, and results-driven approach to decision making to Nelson City Council.
My first exposure to legislative work dates back to when I was thirteen and a Page in the Ontario Legislature. Since then I have worked as a project manager in insurance, government and have more recently worked as an Executive Director in the not-for-profit sector, and small business arenas in education, renewables and conservation.
What is common across my work experience is my ability to lead during challenging times. My decades of experience equips me to be a successful city councillor. As an active community member deeply invested in the success of our city, my personal perspective is much needed on council and will represent the diverse needs of Nelson.At my core, I am a mother, foodie, singer, outdoor enthusiast, arts lover and activist. I express my values by actively volunteering, buying local and by financially supporting co-ops, community schooling, small businesses, and community service organizations.
My work contributions in Nelson & Region:
- Financial Agent for Elections Canada, Kootenay-Columbia (Current)
- Watershed Advisory Committee for RDCK Area E (Current)
- BC Green Party Candidate for Nelson-Creston in 2020 provincial election
- Review Committee Member for Columbia Basin Trust Community Grants – Area E
- Acting Executive Director for West Kootenay Eco-Society
- Treasurer and Strategy Lead for Nelson Waldorf Community School Association (Current)
- Campaign Manager for two local BC Green candidates
- Campaigner for Fair Vote Canada
- Stage Manager at The Capitol Theatre for DanceFusion & Nelson Waldorf Community School
I am committed to utilizing my extensive experience to make a tangible difference for you and your family – however you might define family. Guided by principles of transparency, collaboration and ingenuity I hope to contribute to the efforts of Nelson city council in taking bold strides for the future of our community.